How to wear a face mask safely
Although applying a face mask sounds simple, some common mistakes are easy to make while wearing one. The CDC list some general considerations for cloth face coverings, advising people to:
- ensure that the face covering does not cause difficulty breathing
- check that the face mask covers both the nose and mouth
- make sure that a person can tighten or secure the covering to prevent it from slipping
- fit the covering snugly, so there are no gaps
- wash the face covering after each use
The WHO also suggest not touching the mask while using it. To remove the mask, a person should do so from behind to avoid touching the front of it.
Several online guides and videos are available to provide instructions to people wishing to make a DIY face covering.
Some methods involve sewing, but others do not. Most methods require similar materials, such as scissors, measuring tape, and cloth.